|Image source: Google image|
6. Then add drumstick , cook for few minutes and then add chopped tomato and saute till it become soft and mushy.
Shrimp Drumstick Gravy / Eral Murungakkai KuzhambuPreparation time: 20 ~ 30 minutes
Serves: 2 ~ 3
100 grams / 17 ~ 20 no of medium size shrimp ( frozen or fresh)
50 grams / 1 onion, chopped or equivalent pearl onion (sambhar onion)
50 grams / 1 tomato, chopped
1 medium size drumstick
2 tsp of red chili powder & coriander powder
(OR) 1 tbsp curry powder / Kuzhambu milagai thool
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Gooseberry size tamarind
Salt to taste
water as needed
2 tbsp cooking oil ( Sesame oil is best)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 string of curry leaves
7 ~ 10 garlic pods, peeled and crushed
1 red chili ( optional)
1. Rinse the shrimp with cold water. Then peel the shrimp, by gently pulling the shell from head, tail and middle part of the shrimp. Devein / remove the black thread ( intestine) which runs at the back of the shrimp with help of sharp knife. Rinse again twice or thrice and keep it aside. 2. Wash the veggies. Peel and chop as needed. Crush garlic and keep it aside.
3. While cleaning the shrimp, soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water (This make the tamarind soft and easy to extract). After the tamarind become soft, extract the juice from it and strain it through strainer. Add extra water as needed to get 1 ~ 1 1/2 cup of tamarind juice.
Cooking:6 Then add drumstick , cook for few minutes and then add chopped tomato and saute till it become soft and mushy.
4. Heat oil in kadai / pan, add seasoning ingredients one by one to allow them to splutter. 5. When garlic slightly burns, throw in chopped onions and saute till it become soft and transparent.
7. Add curry powder, tamarind powder and salt. Mix and cook it in medium heat till raw smell disappear. Stir continuously to avoid sticking to the bottom.
8. When oil starts to separates, add cleaned shrimp and mix to coat the masala on the shrimp. 9. After 30 seconds, add extracted tamarind juice. Mix the mixture and allow it to boil. Adjust salt and spice to taste. Boil till gravy thickens. Serve hot with rice or idly and dosa.