Pesarattu is very popular breakfast/ Snack in Andra( South India) & contains more nutritious value. Perfect when served with Ginger chutney. Traditional Recipe doesn't have Rice in it & mainly made up of whole green gram, but I have added Raw rice to get crispy pesarattu.
Whole Green Gram - 1 cup
Raw rice - 1/4cup
Green chili - 5~6
Ginger - 1" chopped
Hing/ Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Cumin / jeeragam - 1 tbs
Salt to taste
Water - 1/ 2 cup ir required
Oil - for drizzling over pesarattu
Onion - 1(minced)
Cilantro - required(minced)
Green chili - required(minced- Optional)
- Soak Whole Green Gram, Raw rice for 6 ~7 hours.
- Grind Soaked Green Gram, Green chili, Raw rice along with cumin, ginger, turmeric powder, hing & salt in to coarse paste.
- Add required amount of water (i.e) batter should be in between consistency of Idly,Dosai batter, nor too thick or thin.
- Heat Tawa, take landleful of pesarattu batter & spread over the tawa in to thin round layer as we do for dosai and drizzle1tsp of oil over the edges of pesarattu.
- Sprinkle miced onion & cilantro on the pasarattu and slightly press onion cilantro to stick to it.
- When one side of pesarattu becomes golden brown fold & serve hot with Ginger chutney.