Wish you all Happy Sankrathi Greetings to you & to your family... Here is my treat to this sankrathi......
Sweet Pongal / Chakkarai Pongal
Raw rice - 1 cup
Moong dal - 1/3 cup
Powdered jaggery - 2 cups or to taste + 1/2 cup water
Milk - 1 1/2cups
Water - 2 cups
Cardamom powder - 1/4tsp
Broken Cashews - As required
Raisins - As required (Optional)
Ghee - 3tbs or as required.
- Pressure cook Rice and dal with milk & water to 2 ~ 3 whistle in medium low heat. (or)
- In a pressure cooker add rice,dal with milk and water & allow it to boil.
- When mixture starts to boil close the lid & put the weight and cook it in low heat for 15minutes.
- Turn off the heat & Mean while heat jaggery with water until jaggery dissolves.
- Open the pressure cooker lid & mash the mixture with spatula.
- Filter the jaggery water through tea stainer & add directly to the mixture.
- Mix well & put it back on the medium - low heat & boil along with 2tbs of Ghee. Fry cashew in remaining Ghee.
- When pongal mixture bubbles up add Cardamon & fried cashews.
- Njoy Harvest Day with Chakkarai pongal.