Shahi Tukda, A very exotic and delicious Mughlai dessert, Shahi Tukda is sliced bread, dipped into a gravy of treacle (sugar gravy), cream and saffron (optional). Thus it could be simply prepared at home anytime. The best part is, its easiness to prepare without compromising the taste. Try & every one in your home will be impressed with its royal taste..
Recipe source: Vah chef
White Bread or Ready made bread toast - 6 slices
Ghee - 2 ~3 tbsp or to deep fry
Nuts (I used Pistachios ) - As required (blanched & chopped) For garnishing
Saffron - Few strands (optional)
Rabri - 1 cup ( Click here for the recipe)
For Sugar syrup:
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Water - 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Prepare Rabri by reducing the milk by boiling it on low heat till it reaches creamy consistency & refrigerate for a fortnight .(for detailed procedure for Rabri, Check out here).
- Heat water & sugar together in a medium heat and boil it for 5 minutes or till sugar syrup reaches sticky consistency. Add cardamom powder & mixwell.
- Remove the crust from the bread & cut them into your required shape.
- Deep fry the bread pieces in ghee in low heat till nice golden brown color (or) If you want to cut these extra calories then slightly fry on non stick pan by applying little ghee on both side.
Drop them into the sugar syrup, let it stand for a minute. Then remove & arrange it on a flat plate/tray.
- Now spread the rabri mixture on top of it & garnish with pistachios & saffron strand.
- Cover & refrigerate it.
- Serve warm or chill as you preferred.
( Note: You can use wheat bread also..For healthier version you can go for Ready made toasted bread, it will minimizes the cooking process & to cut down lot of calories.. Don't fry it in oil to compromise ghee, dessert will be dominated by oil smell, you can adapt toasting method..to avoid ghee )
Linking this to Aipi and Priya's Bookmarked Recipes event