This is my family's favourite recipe. Its very simple and tastier kottu/ curry which can be prepared in less time. Goes well with Rice & Roti. Kids too love this protein rich recipe.
Moong dhal - 3/4 cup
Carrot or Any Vegetables - 1 1/2 cups (chopped in to big chunk)
Onion - 1/2 cup ( chopped)
Tomato - 1/4 cup (chopped)
Turmeric powder - A pinch
Salt - to taste
Asafoetida / Hing - 1/8 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tbsp
Cumin seed - 1/2 tsp
Red chili - 3
Pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
Grated coconut - 2~3 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seed - 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - As required.
Cilantro for garnishing.
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in pan, fry asafoetida, urad dhal, pepper, red chilies & cumin seeds.
- Grind the fried ingredients with coconut into fine paste and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add washed moong dhal, Onion, Tomato, cubed carrot & Turmeric powder with sufficient water and cook it for 2 whistle.
- After 10 minutes, open the pressure pan and add the ground paste & salt.
- Mix well & cook it for 10 minutes in low heat.
- Heat oil in another kadai or pan, add seasoning ingredients, let it splutter then add this to kuttu mixture.
- Garnish with cilantro & Serve hot with rice or roti.
Note: Vegetable like Chayote(chow chow), Turnip, Potato, Peas can be used separately or mixed. Do not select mushy vegetables for this curry.
Linking this to Sobha 's "cook it healthy - Proteinicious"
Signature recipes started by me& to Veggie/Fruit of the month- carrot started by Priya & guest hosted by Reva.