I always love hot summer.. long & warm days, bright & beautiful colors goes around the season... Summer always brings me a pleasant memories of my child hood, Playing hide & seek under the trees in hot silent afternoons, buying popsicles, picking mangoes straight from trees, tasting it with chili powder..sucking the pulp from the hole made on the tip of ripe mangoes..these are all the parts of my summer vacations..
In India, mango season starts form April to July. Market are filled with mangoes where we only see & smell these golden beauties. Still I can remember my Dad used to buy boxes of mangoes..and my Mom used prepare shakes & smoothies out of it and our terrace is filled with canister of mango pickles. Whole vacation will be in flavor of mangoes from main dish to dessert. Below is one of the recipe my mom used to make quite often during our vacation. It is simple but delicious one pot meal prepared in less time. here goes the recipe..
Cooked rice ( any variety) - 1 cups
Grated Raw mango - 1/2 cup to 1 cup ( depend upon the soreness of the mango)
Green chilies - 3 or to taste
Turmeric powder - 2/8 tsp
Salt - To taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Channa dhal - 1 tsp
Cashews - As required
Peanuts - As required (to taste)
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida / Hing - 1/ 8 tsp
Red chilies - 3( broken)
Curry leaves - 1 string or as required.
Cilantro - For Garnishing.
- Cook rice and allow it to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan, add red chilies, mustard seeds , cumin to crackle.
- Add channa dhal, urad dhal, broken cashews, peanuts, saute it for a minute or til golden color.
- Then add hing, green chilies and curry leaves. Stir for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and grated mango.
- Cook till mango is tender & soft, add salt & adjust to taste.
- Turn off the heat, mix mango mixture to cooked rice evenly
- Serve with any spicy side dish.
Note: Adjust spice according to soreness of mango. If mango is not much tangy you can add amchor powder.
This goes to Mango recipe event & also to Signature recipes.