Basmathi rice / Long grain rice - 1 cup
Fish - 1lbs or 450 grams
Onion - 1 ( thinly sliced)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp each
Green chili - 1 no ( slit into two)
Curd - 1/2 cup
Minced cilantro & mint leaves - 1/2 cup each
Saffron or orange food color - A pinch
Ghee - 2 tsp
Water - 6 cups
Salt - to taste
Masala powder :
Turmeric powder - 1/4tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp or as needed
Red chili powder - 1 tsp or to taste
Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste.
Lime - 1 tbsp or to taste
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - A pinch
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp both
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste( for fish only)
Oil - 3 tbsp
Cardamom - 1 or as needed
Cloves - 2 or as needed
Bay leaves - 1
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Wash & soak rice for 30 minutes & drain it for minimum 20 minutes.
- Marinate fish with marination masala and keep in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Soak saffron in little hot water or mix food color in little water and keep it aside.
- Heat Oil in a pan, fry the fish for 2 minutes one side & 2 minutes other side in medium heat, Remove and keep it aside.
- Keep the same pan in low heat, add seasoning ingredients allow it to splutter.
- Add Onion and saute till it turn glossy & transparant.
- Add Ginger garlic paste and saute it for a minutes or till raw smell disapper.
- Now add Curd, Green chili, Minced cilantro, Mint leaves and all masala powder.
- Mix well & saute it for 5 ~ 7 minutes in low heat. Add Half of the onion masala mixture to fried fish.
- Mean while boil 6 cups of water in high heat, when water boils vigorously add soaked rice with 1 tsp of oil & 1/2 tsp of salt and allow it to cook in high heat.
- After 5 minutes or when rice cooks to 90%, strain the water.
- Immediately add half cooked rice to the onion masala and spread evenly.
- Then add fish masala mixture over the rice & spread evenly.
- Sprinkle saffron water or food color water over the rice and cover the pan with plate. keep the hot water bowl on the plate and dum it for 10 minutes in low heat.
- After 5 minutes, remove the plate and remove all the fishes.
- Add ghee and gently mix rice & masala gravy.
- Take one or two slice of the fish and make into small chunks and mix it with briyani.
- Add remaining fish slices to briyani and mix gently.
- Serve hot with any raitha..
Always select boneless fish fillets for this briyani. Fry, fish in nonstick pan to avoid fish to stick at the bottom of the pan. Do not fry fish too crispy.
This recipe goes to Jabeen's Corner, Taste of Pearlcity- Iftar Moments Hijri, Hyderabadi Cuisine Recipes, Signature Recipes.