Hope this is one of the vegetable either liked or hated by most of the people..yes in most family they have mix and match thoughts about this vegetable..that may due to its taste which is in between cukes and zucchini and crunchiness even cooked for long time. Tindora is rich in beta-carotene and recommended to diabetics patients.
It is a very popular vegetable in India. There are numerous dishes can be made out of it and today I am going to share simple and tasteful kovakkai fry with peanuts. Try it..sure you will like it...
Total time: less than 40 minutes
Preparation time: less than 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves : 2 ~ 3
1 1/2 cups Ivy gourd ~ gherkins/kovakkai/Tindora / Dondakaya
1/2 cup sliced onion
1 green chilies slit into two
1/2 cup raw peanuts
2 tbsp shredded coconut
1/4 turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp curry powder or to taste
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
Water as needed
Salt to taste
For Seasoning:1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seed
10 ~ 12 fresh curry leaves
- Trim both the ends of tindora and cut it lengthy and thinly.
- Cook raw peanuts in boiling water till soft. cool, drain it and remove the shell and keep it aside.
- Slice onion and green chilies and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet in medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add curry leaves and onion, saute for a minute.
- Add tindora and green chili. Cover the pan with lid and cook it for 5 minutes in med-low heat.
- When tindora become soft and shiny add turmeric powder, curry powder and salt.
- Mix it together and saute for a minute.
- To this add 1/2 cup of water and peanuts, cover the lid and allow it to cook in medium heat for another few minutes or till done.
- Adjust salt and spice to taste.
- When water dries out, add shredded coconut, mix and fry it 30 seconds and turn off the heat.
- Serve with any rice or roti.