Mutton chukka is one of the famous Lamb recipe in South India and it hits most of the menu cards of popular restaurants like Madurai Muniyandi vilas, Karaikudi, Anjappar chettinad restaurants. Since it is a dry recipe it goes well with any rice item especially with rasam sadam..
Total time: 1 hourPreparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes.
1 lb / 450 grams mutton
1 medium, chopped onion
1 small tomato, chopped
2 green chilies, split in to two
2"inch ginger, crushed
8 ~ 10 cloves crushed garlic or 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp of minced cilantro
Salt to taste
1 1/2 cups of water
Masala Ingredients1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder or to taste & 2 tsp coriander powder (or)
2 tsp kuzhambu milagai thool or to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder or to taste
1 tbsp + 2tsp oil
1 tsp fennel seed
Curry leaves as required
- Clean, wash and cut mutton in to pieces.
- Chop onion, tomato, chilies and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure pan, add fennel seed or fennel powder, allow it to splutter.
- Throw in curry leaves, green chilies and chopped onion. Saute till onion turn transparent and soft.
- Add mutton pieces and saute for a minutes. then add crushed ginger and garlic.
- Fry it for another minute. Now add chopped tomato, turmeric powder, kuzhambu milagai thool and salt. Mix well.
- Add required amount of water and close the pressure pan with it lid.
- Cook it in medium heat for 3~4 whistle or more as needed and turn off the heat.
- After 10 minutes, open pressure pan lid.
- Add pepper powder and minced cilantro.
- Adjust spice and salt to your taste.
- Cook mutton in medium heat till it become dry.
- Serve hot with sambar or rasam rice..