This dish is from Chettinad region which is part of Tamil Nadu state in South India and their cuisine is called Chettinad Cuisine. Chettinad Cuisine is always famous for authentic and traditional foods. The dishes are hot and pungent with fresh ground masala. Today I am going to share Chettinad style prawn masala which is not authentic dish from that cuisine but very similar to it.... Try and enjoy...
Total time: 60 to 95 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Marination time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Serve: 3 ~ 4
250 grams prawns
1 Medium size onion, chopped finely
Curry leaves as required
1 tsp garam masala powder or as required
1 tbsp curry powder or to taste
1 tsp red chili powder and 2 tsp coriander powder
3 tbsp of oil
Salt to taste
1 tsp curry powder or 1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1 tomato, chopped
2 green chilies or to taste
2" ginger piece, peeled and chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup cilantro
2 thinly sliced coconut, chopped
2 tsp Fennel seeds
- De shell prawns and just run knife along the back of it to remove the black vein of it.
- Rinse, drain prawns thoroughly and marinate with the given ingredients for 30 ~ 60 minutes.
- Before cooking prawns grind the listed ingredients in to fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add chopped onion and curry leaves. Fry in medium heat.
- When onion become transparent and glossy, add ground masala and saute for few minutes or raw smell disappear.
- Add curry powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt and saute for 3 minutes in low medium heat or till raw smell disappear.
- Adjust salt and spice to taste.
- Add marinated prawns, mix well and cook it in low heat.
- When water ooze out from prawns, cover the skillet and cook it in low heat til water dries out. It will take 10 minutes to cook otherwise prawns will become tough and hard to eat. Add minced cilantro, mix and serve hot..