This is one of the sweet I made for Diwali, which is very rich in taste and easy to make. My mom use to make this dish with whole milk and it was a time consuming process, so I tried to substitute the whole milk with fat free cheese & milk powder which makes the dish instant and simple. I personally prefer this dish with ricotta cheese than cottage cheese because of taste and texture.
Total time: For Microwave 10 minutes and For Stove top Less than 30 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time on microwave: 5 minutes
Cooking time on stove top: Less than 25 minutes
Source : Sarasyummybites
Serve : 12 ~ 15 pieces depending on size and shape.
1 cup homemade cottage cheese or ricotta cheese ( will post the recipe soon)
1 cup dry milk powder
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp butter
A pinch salt
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp minced pistachio for topping..
Grease the tray or plate with teaspoon of ghee or butter and keep it aside.
Cooking on Microwave:
- Microwave butter for 30 secounds to melt. In a deep microwavable bowl, mix all the ingredients except pistachio.
- Microwave it on high for 3 minutes and mix well in between.
- Again microwave it on high for 2 minutes. At this stage, mixture will bubbles up and will not stick to the bowl.
- Transfer it to greased bowl. Cool and cut it into desired shape and serve warm or chill. Store it in a air tight container.
Cooking on stove top:
- Melt butter and mix all ingredients together in a flat heavy bottom pan with out lumps.
- Cook it in medium heat and stir continuously until mixture thick and leaves the side. At this stage, you could see the bubbles forming on top of the mixture.
- Remove from heat and transfer to greased plate. Level it and cut it into desired shapes and size using pizza cutter or knife. After cooling, remove and store it in air tight container..
Note: Don't over cook it i.e. when mixture bubbles up, remove from the fire and transfer to greased plate or it will become hard and chewy changing the kalakhand texture.