This is another exotic briyani for sea food lovers which will not cheat your taste buds. Shrimp cooked in briyani gravy induce nice flavor to rice and makes the rice best among the seafood recipe..This is my MOM s recipe where she is cooking it for more than 2 decades and always a hit recipe between our relatives and friends. Try this and for sure it will become your default Sunday menu.
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes ~ 1 hour 20 minutes
Preparation time: 10 ~ 15 minutes
Soaking time: 20 ~ 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Standing time: 5 minutes
Serves: 4 ~ 5 people
1 lb/ 500 grams shrimp/ prawns
3 medium size onions, thinly sliced
3 medium size tomato, chopped
5 ~ 6 green chillies or to taste
1 1/2 tsp ginger paste
1 1/2 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp red chili powder or to taste
1 tsp coriander powder or to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 cup curd
1/2 cup of mint leaves
1/2 cup of minced cilantro
1 tsp orange food color or Saffron soaked in warm milk (optional)
Salt to taste
For cooking rice:
3 cups of basmati rice
9 ~ 10 cups of water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oil
3 tbsp oil
1 tbsp ghee
2 inch cinnamon
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 bay leaves
- Wash and soak rice for 20 ~ 30 minutes.
- Clean and wash Shrimp and keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan or kadai, heat oil and ghee together. Add seasoning ingredients one by one, saute for few seconds until it changes to slight brown color.
- Add sliced onions and saute till it turns to soft and transparent in medium heat. Then add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell disappear. Stir continuously to avoid onion mixture to stick to the bottom.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt, mix and cook it in low heat till oil separate from the mixture.
- Now add curd and mix well. Then add green chilies, chopped tomatoes, mint and cilantro leaves. Mix and cook it in medium heat till mixture blend together.
- Adjust salt and spice to taste.
- Throw in Cleaned shrimp / prawn and cook it medium heat 3 ~ 5 minutes till water from gravy evaporates and mixture turns to thick gravy consistency. At this stage cook this gravy in low heat. Stir in between.
- Mean while, boil 9 ~ 10 cups of water in high heat. when it boils vigorously add soaked rice, 1 tsp of oil and 1 tsp of salt. ( don't lower the heat)
- After 5 ~ 6 minutes or When rice boils, strain the water in a bowl.
- Add the half cooked rice to the prepared briyani gravy and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle saffron water or food color water over the rice and cover with lid and dhum with the hot rice starch water. ( You can refer this link for pictorial)
- Let it be in low heat for another 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- After 5 minutes, gently mix the rice and gravy, serve with any raitha.