I am post this recipe for second day of Blogging Marathon under kids dessert theme and I have chosen payasam recipe which more traditional and must for many festivals and most liked by kids for its sweetness and texture. Lets get into the recipe.
Total time: 25 ~ 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 ~ 30 minutes
Serves: 5 ~ 6
1/2 cup moong dhal
3 /4 ~ 1 cup jaggery (powdered) as per your taste
1 ~ 1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 ~ 1/4 cup thick coconut milk (optional) or 1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp cashews
1 tbsp raisins
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pressure pan and slightly roast Cashews and raisins till it turns to golden brown color. Transfer to another bowl and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining ghee and fry moong dhal till nice aroma comes.
- Add 1 1/2 of milk to fried moong dhal and pressure cook it for 2 whistles.
- Mean while add 1/2 cup of water to jaggery and heat it to dissolve completely.
- Strain the jaggery and add to the cooked moong dhal. Mix and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Then add coconut milk or shredded coconut, cardamom powder and cook it for another 2 minutes. Adjust milk to required consistency.
- Turn of the heat and add roasted cashews and raisins. Serve hot or chill.