Bechamel Sauce / White sauce /Cheese sauce is the basic sauce recipe from Italian cuisine for vegetables or pasta and it taste yum with most recipes. To make more rich you add heavy cream in place of milk. Sharing this Kids friendly recipe to this week blogging marathon under the 'how to cook- Basic liquids' theme..
Total time: 20 ~ 25 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 ~ 20 minutes
Yield: 600ml / 20 fl oz
115g / 4oz White cheddar cheese
600ml / 2 cups milk
20 g / 1.5 oz butter
40g / 1.5 oz all purpose flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cilantro / parsley for garnishing
- Heat butter in a heavy bottom pan on low heat.
- Add flour to butter and mix continuously with out burning the mixture.
- Add milk at frequent interval and stir continuously and do the same for the rest of the milk.
- Reduce the heat and whisk for 5 minutes until it becomes a thick smooth sauce.
- Add the cheese to this smooth sauce and Stir.
- Add Salt and pepper to the sauce and whisk for 4 ~ 5 minutes until everything combined.
- Serve immediately or else sauce will dry out soon..
- Best served with fresh cauliflower or broccoli.
- Cook pasta as per package instruction. Drain and transfer to the prepared sauce or transfer the cooked pasta to serving plate and top it with the prepared sauce. Garnish with cilantro..